The project is the external refurbishment of the stone fabric of the 1827 Grade II Listed St. Cuthbert’s RC Church, designed by Ignatius Bonomi and on the English Heritage ‘At Risk’ Register. The site is located in Central Durham within the triangular conservation area of Old Elvet.
The buttresses and window surrounds to the south elevation had been previously resin repaired, considerable erosion of the soft sandstone had occurred on the church tower and to the rear North elevation. During the course of replacing previous repairs and re-pointing the stonework, further repairs were found necessary to the roof timbers of the tower. External stained glass windows were conserved and protected to the south elevation by specialist Iona Glass. The polychromatic glass is an outstanding feature of the church.
Funding for the works was from the Heritage Lottery, assisted by fund raising by the Church and direct donations.